The Blackburn Collection of Pullman Community Congregational Church
Records was compiled during the 1965-1977 period by Charles and Alice
Blackburn. The Blackburns were active members of the Church and involved in
many types of committee work. Charles was a member of the Board of Deacons, and
the Self-Study Commission; Alice was a member of the Board of Trustees and the
Church Council, and they both were involved the weekly Sunday night discussion
groups held at the Church. The Community Congregational Church itself was
founded in 1886 and has been a continuous part of Pullman since that time.
Despite serious hardships and difficulties, the building was lost in the great
fire of 1890 which destroyed a large part of the town, the Community
Congregational Church has remained an active part of the community's religious
life. For a more detailed history of the Church see the earlier register of the
church's records, Cage 314.
The records of the Community Congregational Church contain an annual
report; Board of Deacons and Board of Trustees records; budget information;
church calendars; records from committees such as: Church Council, Education
Committee, Self-Study Commission, and others; copies of the Church newsletter
The Communicator; the constitution and revision proposals;
ministerial and general correspondence; orders of worship; sermons; membership
lists; and some records of activities related to the Vietnam War. Although the
records cover the period 1961-1977, the bulk of the material dates from
Restrictions on Access
This collection is open for research use.
[Item Description]. Cage
480, Blackburn Collection
of Pullman Community Congregational Church Records . Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections, Washington State University Libraries, Pullman, WA.
The Church records have been arranged in a single alphabetical subject
series entitled: Alphabetical Subject File, 1961-1977.
The records of the Pullman Community Congregational Church (MS 83-15)
were donated to the Washington State University Libraries by Mrs. Alice K.
Blackburn in October and December, l977, as part of the Charles E. Blackburn
Papers (Cage 479, MS 77-61).
The Church records were separated from the original accession in March
The remainder of the original accession is held as
479, the Charles E. Blackburn Papers.
For additional records of the Community Congregational Church, see: