The city of Newberg, Oregon, is located in the Chehalem Valley on the banks of the Willamette River. The first postmaster of the territory opened shop in 1869 and named the town after his hometown in Bavaria. In the 1870s the site was chosen by an eastern Quaker, William Hobson, who wanted to start a settlement where he could grow fruit. Civic responsibility promoted education and a "dry town" when Prohibition was the focus of many in the late nineteenth century. The ban on alcohol was to last well into the 1970s. Pacific College (now George Fox University) was established by the Quakers in Newberg in 1891.
This artificial collection contains an assortment of brochures, newspapers, newspaper clippings, souvenir magazines, minutes, maps, written histories, and legal documents relating to the community of Newberg, Oregon. There are also some references to the surrounding communities of Springbrook, Chehalem Center, and Dundee. Documents and photos reflect observations and scenes of the community from the 1880s forward. Focus is on city government, churches and schools, early residences and commercial sites, celebrations of historic events and places. The collection includes several vintage photographs of panoramic views of the city and valley.
This collection is indexed under the following headings in the online catalog. Researchers desiring materials about related topics, persons, or places should search the catalog using these headings.