Commerce instruction, as Business courses were called at the time, was offered at Oregon State University from the time of its founding in 1868, and the first Commerce professorship was established in 1880. In 1898 a two-year curriculum was established, which expanded to a four- year curriculum when the Department of Commerce was established at OSU in 1900, the 11th in the United States and the first in the Pacific Northwest. In 1908, the School of Commerce was established as a professional school with John Andrew Bexell, A.M., as Dean. Bexell Hall, constructed in 1922 as the new Commerce Hall, was named after him. Bexell served as Dean until 1932, when the School of Commerce was transferred to the University of Oregon. All that remained at Oregon State was the Secretarial Science curriculum which was reduced to a lower division, non-degree granting status.
By 1943, a degree curriculum of Business Administration was restored at Oregon State, and the Division of Business and Industry was established in 1945. The division was changed in 1947- 1948 to the School of Business and Technology with Clifford E. Maser as Dean. In 1960, the School of Business and Technology became a fully accredited member of the American Association of Collegiate Schools of Business, and a Masters of Business Administration degree was authorized by the Oregon State Board of Higher Education in 1965. In 1983, the name was changed to the College of Business.
Clifford E. Maser served as Dean from 1947 to 1966. During that time period he became renown as an expert on the refugee situation in Europe, and the threat of communism in the world. He gave speeches extensively across the western part of the U.S. at high school programs, commencements, conferences, workshops and annual meetings on these subjects. Most of the records in the first reel relate to those speeches.
After Maser's retirement, Earl Goddard became Dean, a position he held until 1983. He was replaced by Lynn Spruill, who served as Dean from 1984 to 1990. The present dean, Donald F. Parker, has held that position since 1991.
The first series consists of Clifford E. Maser's meetings and speeches that he presented while Dean of the college; series two includes curriculum materials used to initiate or continue courses in the college. Series three, Reports and Briefs, consist of annual, budget, and financial reports for the School of Commerce and its departments (including Political Science, Economics, and Sociology) for the period 1910 through 1925. Series three also includes briefs and reports regarding the duplication of courses between the University of Oregon and Oregon Agricultural College and transfer of the School of Commerce degree programs to the University of Oregon (1925-1932) and various reports (including self-studies) on the operation and functioning of the College from the late 1950s through the 1980s.
Series four consists of College of Business student handbooks and faculty handbooks; series five contains awards records pertaining to an award given to Ken and Joan Austin; and series six, Special Events Records, contains an announcement of a Product Testing Laboratory anniversary.
Restrictions on Access :
Collection is open for research.Preferred Citation :
College of Business Records (RG 122), Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.
The College of Business Records are divided into six series: I. Dean Clifford E. Maser's Meetings and Speeches; II. Curriculum Materials; III. Reports and Briefs; IV. Handbooks; V. Awards Records; and VI. Special Event Records.
Acquisition Information :
Reel three was originally part of the School of Commerce Records (RG 80) and transferred to this record group in 1999.Related Materials :
Materials in Subgroup 7, Series VIII, X and XI of the President's Office Records (RG 13) provide information on the reorganization of the college in the 1930s. Other records of the Political Science, Economics, and Sociology Departments are in the Department of Political Science Records (RG 75) and the College of Liberal Arts Records (RG 143).
The College of Business Photographs and Videotapes (P 194) include images of faculty and special events and a videotape of the award presented to Ken and Joan Austin. The Jean Mater Papers include College of Business Advisory Council materials.
College of Business publications include the Bexell Times (PUB 10-22z3); College of Business, (PUB 353), which includes MBA brochures; College of Business Exchange (PUB 275); Commerce Bulletin, (PUB 411); and Northwest Business Management (PUB 5-31e).
Detailed Description of the Collection