The Fish, Game and Fur Animal Management Department was created in 1935 under the jurisdiction of the School of Agriculture. Roland E. Dimick was the first department chair, a position he held until 1963. The department operated the OSC Experimental Fur Farm from 1937 to 1957 and also established field stations on Protection and Eliza Islands in Puget Sound and a fisheries lab at Yaquina, Oregon. The department's name was changed to Fish and Game Management in 1936, and in 1964 was renamed Fisheries and Wildlife. Thomas G. Scott was department chair from 1963 to 1972.
The Oregon Cooperative Wildlife Research Unit was established in 1935 as a cooperative venture between the U.S. Biological Survey, the American Wildlife Institute, the Oregon State Game Commission, and Oregon State College. Arthur Einarson, U.S. Biological Survey research biologist, served as Unit Leader from 1935 to 1957, directing its graduate training and research programs. The unit was discontinued in 1961.
The Fisheries and Wildlife Department Photographs consist of images taken or assembled by the department that document students and faculty as well as the teaching and research programs in fisheries and wildlife. The bulk of the photographs were separated from the Fisheries and Wildlife Department Records (RG 190) and include photographs of big game field trips conducted by the department; a fish pond field day in Jefferson County in 1968; and several Oregon Cooperative Wildife Research Unit projects.
The big game field trip photographs are primarily group photographs of the students and faculty that participated in the annual trips; they also depict locations visited during the trips as well as guest leaders. The fish pond field day was sponsored by the Extension Service for a group of third graders at the Roy Stevenson farm in Jefferson County; the students may include Native American children from Warm Springs.
The Oregon Cooperative Wildlife Research Unit photographs depict projects pertaining to waterfowl, pheasants, duck and geese hunting, and antelope.
The collection also includes images of Fisheries and Wildlife alumnus Don Carr receiving the Distinguished Service Cross in 1971; Thomas G. Scott, department chair, presenting an award for best paper at the Oregon Wildlife Society meeting to Eleanor Horvitz; and a field trip to the Murderer's Creek deer range.
The collection consists predominantly of b/w prints and negatives; there are a few color prints included.
Restrictions on Access :
Collection is open for research.Preferred Citation :
Fisheries and Wildlife Department Photographs (P 179), Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.
Additional Reference Guides :
Preliminary container list available online.Processing Note :
This collection is not fully processed; this guide is preliminary.Acquisition Information :
The photographs were transferred by the Fisheries and Wildlife Department in several accessions between 1981 and 1998.Future Additions :
Additions to the collection are expected.Related Materials :
The Fisheries and Wildlife Department Records (RG 190) include extensive documentation of the research conducted by the Oregon Cooperative Wildlife Research Unit. The papers of Fisheries and Wildlife Department faculty Carl E. Bond and Roland Eugene Dimick provide further documentation of research and teaching activities. Several collections in the OSU Archives contain images pertaining to fisheries and wildlife, including the Herman T. Bohlman Photograph Collection (P 202), William L. Finley Papers, E.E. Wilson Photographic Collection (P 101), and the Pacific Northwest Stream Survey Collection.