The Tregoning Boat Company was originally established as the Proctor Boat Company in approximately 1900 by George R. Proctor. In 1904, Proctor sold the company to his brother-in-law Frank Tregoning, who renamed it the Frank Tregoning Boat Company. The company primarily built steel-hulled boats, but also designed and built yachts to order, including the Sans Souci II for D. G. Schmitz, which was later commissioned to serve in World War I. In 1907, the newly renamed Tregoning Boat Company moved from its original location on Elliott Avenue to a location on Seaview Avenue in Ballard. Tregoning’s best-selling boats were lifeboats which were used around the area and on all the Puget Sound ferries. In 1918, the Tregoning Sawmill opened in Ballard Beach, and in 1920, the Tregoning Sash and Door factory opened as well. The factory manufactured the windows and doors for the Olympic Hotel in Seattle and closed in 1926 after a large fire. Jim Tregoning, Frank’s son, took over the ownership of the company in 1936. Under him, Tregoning became the largest West Coast manufacturer of metal lifeboats during World War II. In 1946, the yard was destroyed by arson, including the building containing the wooden boat shop, a truck, a new 26’ boat, and other boats. Tregoning Boat Company became Tregoning Industries in 1945, and designed a new seine fishing boat with a mast design that soon became the industry standard. In 1952, Jim Tregoning began working in management at the Seattle Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Corporation.
The collection includes 48 photographs (mostly modern copy prints and photocopies) of both the Tregoning family and boats built by the Tregoning Boat Company; one typed history of the Tregoning Boat Company and the Tregoning family; five articles pertaining to the Tregoning Boat Company; three Tregoning advertisements; two diagrams of Tregoning boats; an informational brochure on the Puget Sound ferry system; a collection of research materials (including computer printouts) pertaining to the company; and three boating magazines from 1928-1936.
Restrictions on Access :
The collection is open to the public by appointment.Restrictions on Use :
The Museum of History & Industry is the owner of the materials in the Sophie Frye Bass Library and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from MOHAI before any reproduction use. The museum does not necessarily hold copyright to all of the materials in the collections. In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners.Preferred Citation :
Collection on the Tregoning Boat Company, Museum of History & Industry, Seattle
Detailed Description of the Collection
The following section contains a detailed listing of the materials in the collection.
The photographs are comprised largely of modern copy prints, and also photocopies and a few vintage prints. All items listed below are modern copy prints unless otherwise noted.
This collection is indexed under the following headings in the online catalog. Researchers desiring materials about related topics, persons, or places should search the catalog using these headings.