Florence Lynds Shuff graduated from Oregon State College with a bachelor of science degree in elementary education in 1956, after her formal education had been postponed for many years because of homemaking and teaching duties. She first became involved in home economics extension in 1936 and several years later helped found the first unit in her home in Marion County. About this time she also became active in the Oregon Home Economics Extension Council, which was instrumental in the establishment of Azalea House.
In 1946, she published the first issue of the Council newsletter (Council Comments) and served as editor for 16 years. After receiving her degree in 1956, she continued teaching at the only remaining one room school in Benton County until her retirement in 1958. She moved to Corvallis from Salem in 1945 and married Harold A. Shuff in 1957. She lived in Corvallis until her death in 1994.
This collection consists of 2 scrapbooks and a Handbook for Officers of Marion County Home Extension Units, 1943- 1944. One scrapbook includes clippings and photographs tracing the establishment of Azalea House (1945-1957); the other scrapbook contains clippings documenting the beginning of the Home Extension program in Marion County (1940-1944).
Preferred Citation :
Florence Lynds Shuff Collection, Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.
Related Materials :
More information about the Oregon Home Economics Extension Council is available in the Memorabilia Collection. The Publications Collection includes Council Comments (PUB 413) and the Homemakers Council Proceedings (PUB 8-23a). Additional information about Azalea House can be found in the Azalea House Records.