The District Board of Directors resolved in January, 1944, to create a Department of Public Relations. The first meeting was held at the District Office on November 15, 1944, under the chairmanship of Rev. Willam H. Hillmer. According to the first press release, " It is hoped that this department may serve to publicize the work and membership of the Lutheran Church in this District, as well as in the Church at large." It was made a permanent institution in the District by resolution of the District Convention in 1945.
Its replacement, the District Communications Committee, was organized in the fall of 1984. "This new committee was assigned the function of assisting the District, its executives, boards and committees and its publication editors in the area of planning in such a way that the mission and program of the church is communicated to its publics, both internal and external" (Convention Workbook, 1985, p. 163). It became a standing committee of the District in 1988. In 1996, as a result of the District reorganization, Communications found a new home in the General Services Department under the supervision of a staff coordinator.
The records contain minutes of meetings through 1963, correspondence through 1956, and the department Bulletin through 1966.
Restrictions on Access :
The collection is available for research by appointment.Restrictions on Use :
The Northwest District Archives is the owner of the materials in the Public Relations Department Collection and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the Northwest District Archives before any reproduction use. Copyright resides with the creator of the documents or their heirs. The status of copyright is governed by the Copyright Law of the U. S. (Title 17, U.S.C.). In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners.Preferred Citation :
Researchers wishing to use this collection should include the following information:
[Item] . Northwest District Public Relations Department Records. NWD.22. Archives, Northwest District, The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod (Portland, OR).
Detailed Description of the Collection