The Herbarium Records document the
collecting of plant specimens by Oregon State University and include
correspondence regarding specimens, exchange lists, gift records. The records
also include correspondence of Helen Gilkey, Herbarium curator from 1918 to
Funding for encoding this
finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for
The collecting of plant specimens by the university dates back to at
least 1882, when professor B. J. Hawthorne reported that the USDA had donated a
number of plant specimens to the college, and that he had collected around 500
specimens from around the region. The Herbarium grew from 2601 specimens in
1891 to 153,000 in 1967. In 1993, the herbarium of the University of Oregon was
added to the OSU Herbarium, bringing the total number of specimens to more than
336,000. In the 1910s, the first special quarters for the herbarium were
developed in Agriculture (now Strand) Hall. Since 1957 the Herbarium has been
located in Cordley Hall. Herbarium curators have included E. R. Lake, 1886-1891
& 1899-1910; Helen M. Gilkey, 1918-1951; and Kenton L. Chambers,
Series 1 primarily consists of inquiries received from other
institutions. Series 2 contains personal correspondence of Helen Gilkey. Series
3 consists of lists of exchange specimens sent to and received from other
institutions and individuals. Series 7 & 8 consist of correspondence
regarding plant specimens sent or received by the Herbarium.
Use of the Collection
Preferred Citation :
Herbarium Records (RG 117), Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis,
Organized into 8 series: 1. General Correspondence; 2. Personal
Correspondence, Helen Gilkey; 3. Exchange Lists; 4. Misc. Correspondence; 5.
Misc. Information Files; 6. Drawings; 7. Gifts Received; and 8. Gifts Sent.
Most series arranged chronologically.
Related Materials :
Other materials pertaining to the Herbarium are in the Botany and Plant
Pathology Department Records (RG 54), the Helen M. Gilkey Papers, and the
Herbarium Photographs (P 93).