When Logan became the county seat of Cache County in 1860 and the townsite was surveyed, city officials laid out an irrigation system to provide water to each city lot. The main canal constructed, fed by the North Branch of the Logan River, was the Logan Hyde Park Canal. A number of companies formed to provide secondary ditches from this canal, including the Seventh Ward Irrigation Company, incorporated on April 22, 1913, under Ditchmaster Einar Crockett. The company's ditches, located in Logan Island, ran from the Logan Hyde Park Canal to headgates at 5th and 6th Streets. Their stated purpose was "to construct, operate and control the ditches and waterways necessary to supply water to the stockholders of the corporation solely," responsibilities they maintain today as a nonprofit corporation.
Source: Seventh Ward Irrigation Company Handbook for Shareholders, compiled by Virginia C. Parker.
Receipt books; minutes of director and stockholder meetings; financial papers; water time-tables (1919 and 1943); correspondence (1921-1946) including that from the Logan River Water Users Association, the Homeowners Loan Corp, and the U.S. Treasury Department; 1940 United States Census irrigation section completed form.
Restrictions on Access : Restrictions
Open to public research.Restrictions on Use : Copyright
It is the responsibility of the user to obtain permission to publish from the owner of the copyright (the institution, the creator of the record, the author or his/her transferees, heirs, legates, or literary executors). The user agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the Utah State University Libraries, its officers, employees, and agents from and against all claims made by any person asserting that he or she is an owner of copyright.
Permission to publish material from the Seventh Ward Irrigation Company : records must be obtained from the Special Collections Manuscript Curator and/or the Special Collections Department Head.Preferred Citation :
Seventh Ward Irrigation Company : records, 1924-1950. (COLL MSS 100). Utah State University. Special Collections and Archives Department.
Detailed Description of the Collection