The collection contains photographs pertaining to the history of Seattle Pacific University, with emphasis on the campus, student programs and activities, musical groups, athletics and faculty and staff portraits. Some of the photographs were used in yearbooks and some are in frames. The collection also contains a small number of negatives, slides and proof sheets.
Seattle Pacific University was founded in 1891 by Free Methodist pioneers and was first known as Seattle Seminary. Its early focus was the training of missionaries, but the institution soon grew to become a liberal arts college. In 1915, the name was changed to Seattle Pacific College, and full college accreditation was granted in 1936. The College grew rapidly in the 1950s and 1960s with more students, programs and buildings and in 1977, became a full liberal arts university. Throughout its history, Seattle Pacific has remained attached to the Free Methodist denomination and committed to Christian higher education.