Beginning in 1926, the Oregon State University College of Foresty has acquired and managed a number of forest properties for the purposes of research and instruction. The largest and oldest of these tracts of land is the McDonald/Dunn Research Forest which was purchased with funds donated by Mary McDonald. The forest currently consists of approximately 11,250 acres.
The McDonald Forest Aerial Photographs consist of photographic prints (9x9 inches) made by Western Aerial Contractors, Inc. (WAC Corp.) of Eugene, Oregon, on July 23, 1962. The photographs depict the forest cover within the McDonald Forest as well as areas immediately surrounding the forest. The photographs are at an approximate scale 1:12,000 and were made in 7 north-south flight lines. An index map showing the flight lines and locations of images is part of the collection.
Restrictions on Access :
Collection is open for research.Preferred Citation :
McDonald Forest Aerial Photographs (P 294), Oregon State University Special Collections & Archives Research Center, Corvallis, Oregon.
Custodial History :
The photographs were acquired by the Oregon State University Library in 1963.Acquisition Information :
The photographs were transferred from the Oregon State University Libraries map collection to the Special Collections & Archives Research Center in 2013.Related Materials :
Extensive materials pertaining to McDonald Forest and the OSU Research Forests are part of the College of Forestry Records (RG 139) and Photographs (P 061). The Special Collections & Archives Research Center includes many other collections of aerial photographs, including the United States Department of Agriculture Aerial Photographs of Linn, Benton, and Lincoln Counties, Oregon for 1972-1994 (P 267).