Nuclear research and education began at OSU soon after World War II. In the 1950s, the first classes in nuclear physics and radiochemistry were taught, and in 1955 a cyclotron was constructed. A graduate program in nuclear engineering was established in 1959. In the early 1960s, a committee recommended that a research lab be established to house nuclear and radiation facilities. Funding was secured in the fall of 1962, and construction began in early 1964. The labs were occupied in August 1964 and the research reactor was completed in January 1967.
C.H. Wang was the first director of the Radiation Center.
The Radiation Center Photographs consists of four color slides and one b/w photographic print depicting the Radiation Center facility, faculty associated with the Center, and nuclear physics research equipment in use at Oregon State College prior to etablishment of the Radiation Center. The images are individually numbered P033:1 thru P033:5. The slides include an image of the Radiation Center facility; an aerial view of the Center and its surroundings; Chih H. Wang in front of the Radiation Center; and OSU President James H. Jensen and J.C. Decius, a professor in the Chemistry Department. The slides were all made in 1965 by Robert W. Henderson.
The photographic print was made in 1959 and depicts equipment for nuclear science and engineering research, including a vapor fractometer (gas chromatograph), at Oregon State College.
Restrictions on Access :
Collection is open for research.Preferred Citation :
Radiation Center Photographs (P 033), Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.
Acquisition Information :
The slides were transferred to the Archives prior to 1966.Related Materials :
Additional materials pertaining to the Radiation Center are available in the Radiation Center (RG 202), College of Engineering (RG 062), and President's Office (RG 013) Records. The E. Dale Trout Papers document research on X-ray equipment, diagnostic radiology, and the administration of the X-Ray Science and Engineering Laboratory at Oregon State University.