Coed Cottage was established in September 1956, with the name Co-op Cottage, as a cooperative housing residence for women students at Oregon State College; the name was changed to Coed Cottage in the fall of 1957. The cooperative was closed in 1984.
Coed Cottage, the second University-owned women's cooperative, was located at 33 NW 26th Street. The building was constructed in 1926 as the Alpha Chi Omega sorority. Since 1984, the structure has housed the administrative offices of the College of Oceanic and Atmospheric Sciences.
The Coed Cottage Records document the residents and activities of the Coed Cottage women's cooperative at Oregon State University. The Records consist predominantly of 24 scrapbooks for individual academic years from 1956-1957 through 1983-1984; the only years not represented by a scrapbook are 1976-1977, 1977-1978, and 1979-1980. The scrapbooks include photographs, clippings, and ephemera. The photographs include formal group portraits and many snapshots of the residents as well as the organization;s programs and activities.
The records also include a membership book; house meeting minutes; a constitution, procedures, and house rules; and additional photographs, primarily film negatives.
Restrictions on Access :
Collection is open for research.Preferred Citation :
Coed Cottage Records, Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.
Acquisition Information :
The records were transferred to the Archives in 1985.Additional Reference Guides :
Preliminary container list available online.Processing Note :
This collection is not fully processed; this guide is preliminary.Related Materials :
The University Housing and Dining Services Records (RG 145) document the administration of housing and residence life programs at OSU. The Archives' collections include the records of other women's housing cooperatives including Azalea House and Co-Resident Women, Inc. and several men's housing clubs, including the Associated Men's Halls, Cauthorn Club, and Poling Hall Club.