The city of Corrine, Utah was settled in 1869 and named after one of the daughters of General J. A. Williamson, the agent who auctioned off lots surveyed by the Union Pacific Railroad. This collection reflects the banking and freighting businesses which sprang up in Corrine's early years and attests to the town's aspirations to become the commercial center of the Intermountain West. Between 1869 and 1878, over 257 businesses were active for some period of time in Corrine. Banks dealt with national and international creditors as near as Salt Lake City and as far as London, England. Hussey, Dahler & Co. of Salt Lake City, Utah, bought out Corrine's first bank: Wilson & Morton and later closed this Corrine branch in 1874. Freighting companies hauled cargo from rail cars into Montana and back to Corrine. Though Creighton & Munro, established in April of 1869, was one of Corrine's largest freighting companies, it ceased operation in 1871 when the partnership dissolved.
Letters, telegrams, and receipts from the businesses of Corinne, Box Elder County, Utah between 1867 and 1870. The letters represent the banks, merchants, attorneys, telegraph companies, freight lines, wagon dealers, and grocers of the town. Also included in the collection are the business letters of individuals in the area.
Restrictions on Access :
No restrictions on use, except: not available through interlibrary loan.Restrictions on Use :
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances.
Permission to publish material from the Corinne Business Letters must be obtained from the Special Collections Manuscript Curator and/or the Special Collections Department Head.Preferred Citation :
Initial Citation: Corinne Business Letters USU_COLL MSS 241, Box [ ]. Special Collections and Archives. Utah State University Merrill-Cazier Library. Logan, Utah.
Following Citations:USU_COLL MSS 241, USUSCA.
This collection is arranged in no particular order.
Detailed Description of the Collection