On October 25, 1927, eight ladies met to discuss the formation of a book club. They decided the club would be named the Ladies' Literary Club. (In April of 1928, the club name changed from the Ladies' Literary Club to the Women's Literary Club.) Its object would be to enhance the literary and social culture of its members. The only stipulation for club membership was that potential members had to have a particular interest in literature. Many of the members through the years were wives of Utah State University professors (such as Maria Ellsworth and Grace Arrington). Others members were wives of prominent public figures in Logan (Grace Baugh and Pearl Budge).
Limited to twenty-five members, the group met every other Wednesday, either at the Bluebird Restaurant or a member's home. In a typical meeting a book would be reviewed by a member followed by a social hour. The books typically read by the Women's Literary Club were contemporary publications. The type of literature reviewed covered a variety of topics such as historical works and biographies of artists, writers, or other interesting people. In addition to book discussions, the club often would have musical performers or artists at their bimonthly meetings.
The Women's Literary Club also was particularly devoted to community service. Members of the club donated much of their time to the Red Cross during World War II. (Between 1943 and1944, the club donated 420 hours to this group.) In addition, the club donated many books to public libraries. The Women's Literary Club remained active in both their literary pursuits and their community service through the mid-1990s.
This collection consists of the papers and records of the Women's Literary Club between the years of 1927- 1995. (There is a gap in the minutes between 1978 and 1994.) Materials include of revised constitutions, programs, membership rolls and histories, minutes from the individual meetings, and a scrapbook kept by the club. This collection is of particular interest because of the connection of many of the clubs members to Utah State University and the community of Logan.
Restrictions on Access :
No restrictions on use, except: not available through interlibrary loan.Restrictions on Use :
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances.
Permission to publish material from the Women's Literary Club Records (Logan, Utah), must be obtained from the Special Collections Manuscript Curator and/or the Special Collections Department Head.Preferred Citation :
Initial Citation: Women's Literary Club Records (Logan, Utah), USU_COLL MSS 254, Box [ ]. Special Collections and Archives. Utah State University Merrill-Cazier Library. Logan, Utah.
Following Citations:USU_COLL MSS 254, USUSCA.
Minute books arranged chronologically.>
Processing Note :
Processed in March of 2000Acquisition Information :
Donated in 1998, this collection was part of the papers donated by S. George and Maria Ellsworth. George Ellsworth was a prominent history professor at Utah State University for many years. Maria Ellsworth was a leading member of the Women's Literary Club and kept the records of the club.
Detailed Description of the Collection