The Industrial Arts Department in the School of Engineering provided training for industrial managers, industrial engineers, industrial teachers for the public schools, and industrial designers and artisans.
George B. Cox was Professor of Industrial Arts Education and Director of the Engineering Shops from 1927 until his retirement in 1961. He earned an MS in Education from Oregon State College in 1940.
The Industrial Arts Department Motion Picture Film consists of Building Boy Builders, produced by George B. Cox; the State Building Congress; and Western Forest Products. The film documents a program to encourage vocational training in the building and construction trades and includes footage of teacher training and high school students building model-sized homes. It credits the work of O.G. Hughson in this program. The film is a color, silent 16 mm production about 18 min (475 feet) in length. It exhibits some shrinkage and warping.
Restrictions on Access :
Collection is open for research.Preferred Citation :
Industrial Arts Department Motion Picture Film (FV P 189), Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.
Acquisition Information :
The film was transferred from the Post-Secondary and Technical Education Department in 1990.Related Materials :
Photographs depicting Industrial Arts shops and equipment, faculty, and student projects as well as lantern slides used for instruction are available in the Industrial Engineering and Industrical Arts Department Photographs (P 189). Records documenting the instruction and outreach activities of the Industrial Arts Department are part of the Vocational and Technical Education Department (RG 146) and College of Engineering (RG 062) Records and the Robert C. Wilson Papers.