The Wood & Iverson Co. began in 1896 as a shingle mill operation at Roosevelt, Washington, five miles east of Snohomish on French Creek. By 1909, William Washington Wood and Ivar C. Iverson (who knew one another from working together in previous logging operations) had saved enough money to buy timber acreage at Hobart, Washington, near Issaquah. In 1915 they opened a large sawmill, complete with a blacksmith shop, a locomotive house, brick dry kilns, a log pond and a wooden flume more than half a mile long. Wood & Iverson Co. employed roughly 200 men and turned out a variety of lumber supplies, including dimension lumber, siding, molding, pipe staves, lath and shingles, and even airplane stock.
The small community of Hobart became a bona fide “company town,” offering a general store, 35 company-built houses, a three-story hotel, and a post office. Because of Hobart’s distance from any nearby banks, the company also issued its own currency -- aluminum “hickeys” that came in denominations up to $20 and which could be used not only at the general store but were also honored in Renton, Maple Valley, Issaquah and even the Seattle Hotel. When William Wood died in 1932, his son Russell took over operations. The firm was dissolved in 1945 and little remains of the old sawmill site, which is near present day S.R. 18.
The collection consists of black-and-white photographs and negatives of Wood & Iverson Co. operations. Subjects include spar tree logging, steam donkeys, gas yarders, pile drivers, logging camps, exterior shots of the Wood & Iverson Co. sawmill, group shots of work crews with old-growth Cedar, and a Bucyrus Erie D-2 Diesel shovel grading for railroad. The collection also includes a panoramic view of the Wood & Iverson mill at Hobart by Darius Kinsey, and a sketch of the old Peacock farm near Hobart by W.H. Piggott.
Restrictions on Access :
The collection is open to the public by appointment.Restrictions on Use :
The Museum of History & Industry is the owner of the materials in the Sophie Frye Bass Library and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from MOHAI before any reproduction use. The museum does not necessarily hold copyright to all of the materials in the collections. In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners.Preferred Citation :
Wood & Iverson Co. Collection, Museum of History & Industry, Seattle
Acquisition Information :
Donated by Gertrude Wood Stack in 1991.Related Materials :
Photographs of the Wood & Iverson Lumber Company from the Maple Valley Historical Society are available online at University of Washington Libraries Digital Collections.Bibliography :
Wood & Iverson: Loggers of Tiger Mountain, by Ken Schmelzer. Oso Publishing Company. Arlington, Wash. 2001.
One Hundred Years on the Cedar, by Morda C. Slauson. 1967. (Wood & Iverson history on p. 20-22)
Detailed Description of the Collection