State University. Extension and Experiment Station
Extension and Experiment Station
1949-1995 ( inclusive )
5.8 cubic ft. 3 microfilm
reels 548 audio
The Extension and Experiment Station
Communications Records document preparation of publications, news releases,
radio programs, and public service announcements by Oregon State University
Extension programs in agriculture, home economics, marine resources, and 4-H.
In addition, the records document the communication of the results of OSU
Agricultural Experiment Station research to the public and other researchers.
The records include sound recordings, publication records, and biographical
files for Extension agents and specialists.
Special Collections & Archives Research Center 121 The Valley Library Oregon State University Corvallis OR 97331-4501 Telephone: 541-737-2075 Fax: 541-737-8674 email@example.com
in English and
Funding for encoding this
finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for
The Extension Information Office (which later became Extension
Communications) and the Agricultural Experiment Station Information office
(which later became Agricultural Experiment Station Communications) were
separate units until 1983, when they were combined into a single unit in the
College of Agricultural Sciences. This new unit was called Agricultural
Communications. The name was changed in March of 1996 to Extension and
Experiment Station Communications to reflect the move at OSU to make Extension
a university-wide outreach activity. Extension and Experiment Station
Communications is a department in the College of Agricultural Sciences. Unit
Leaders of the combined unit have included Ken Kingsley, Department Head from
April 1995 to the present, and as the interim department head from November
1991 to April 1995; Gwil Evans was department head from 1983 to 1991.
The Extension Service appointed the first editor of bulletins, C. J.
McIntosh, soon after the receipt of federal funds in 1914. Other heads of
Extension Information included Arnold Ebert, who was head from 1956 to 1972,
and Gwil Evans, from 1972 to 1983. This unit has provided training for
Extension staff in such areas as: newsletters, writing for newspapers, radio,
The first experiment station bulletin was written by Director Edgar
Grimm and published in 1889. Between 1889 and 1899, the Station published 58
bulletins and circulars on a variety of topics, many in response to farmers'
questions. The Experiment Station Editor position was created in 1947 with
Arland R. Meade filling that position until 1948. Other heads of the
Agricultural Experiment Station Information office included Dick Floyd (1970
until 1983), Robert G. Mason (1953-1970), Norville Gish (1950-1953) and Sam
Bailey (1948-1950). The Agricultural Experiment Station communications unit has
worked with researchers to distribute the results of research to other
researchers (via technical bulletins, etc.), and to make the public aware of
and value the impact of research on their lives via newspaper and television
Oregon's Agricultural Progress magazine.
The communication units were located in Extension Hall (previously Snell
Hall), then moved to one of the upper floors of Waldo Hall, and moved into the
Kerr Administration Building when it opened in 1971.
Series one consists of audio tapes and cue sheets of radio programs
produced by this office. Series two consists of public service announcement
tapes (PSAs). Series three consists of audio tapes used for other productions.
Series four consists of speeches, lectures and interviews audiotaped by this
office. Series five consists of news releases: News Tips Home Ec.; Oregon Farm
Calendar; Speaking to the Consumer; Food Facts Home Ec.; Tips for Type and
Mike. Series six consists of audio and video projects production records,
including costs, correspondence and reports. Series seven consists of reports
on Agricultural Communications and on an Extension information project,
correspondence about radio broadcasts, lists of award winners, and notes on the
Agricultural Conservation Program. Series eight consists of publications
records: index cards listing information on technical papers issued by the
Oregon Agricultural Experiment Station costs, information, correspondence,
drafts, reviews, and evaluation reports. Series nine consists of biographical
files of extension agents and specialists who are no longer affiliated with the
OSU Extension Service because they have resigned, retired, or are deceased.
These files include biographical data sheets, info sheets, resumes, position
announcements, job appointment news releases, and death announcements.
Use of the Collection
Preferred Citation :
Extension and Experiment Station Communications Records (RG 69), Oregon
State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.
The records consist of 9 series: I. Radio Program Audiotapes; II. Public
Service Announcements; III. Audiotapes Made for Other Productions; IV.
Speeches, Interviews, and Lectures (Audiotapes); V. News Releases; VI. Audio
and Video Projects Production Records; VII. Reports and Correspondence; VIII.
Publications Records; and IX. Extension Personnel Biographical Files.
Related Materials :
Agricultural Experiment Station (RG 25) and Extension Service (RG 111)
contain records with information on Extension and Experiment Station
Communications. Extension and Experiment Station Communications Photographs (P
120) contains photographs taken by the Communications office personnel; and
Extension and Agricultural Experiment Station Communications (P 120-Films)
contain films either used in Extension television programs or that were
produced by the Agricultural Experiment Station Communications office.
Other related collections include: Agricultural Experiment Station (P
29); Extension Service (P 62); Extension Bulletin Illustrations (P 20); Station
Bulletin Illustrations (P 19); Experiment Station Publications (P 132)
Photographic Collection, and films of the Agricultural Experiment Station (P
Detailed Description of the Collection
Series I: Radio Program
Audiotapes, 1978-1993 and undated
Grant County Extension
Office, Weekly 4-H Radio Program, c/o Chris Kirby, undated
1 reel to reel
Grant County Extension
Office, [probably more Weekly 4-H Radio Program], undated
3 reel to reel
OSU Reports, transferred from
P 120, former numbers 654-655, 1975 and 1978
2 reel to reel
" Down to Earth" , radio
program audio tapes and cue sheets
6 November 1989 to 9 July 1990
16 July 1990 to 7 January 1991
26 1/4" reel to
14 January to 2 September 1991 (24 tapes)
16 September to 18 November 1991
28 audio 1/4" reel
to reel tapes
25 November 1991 to 20 April 1992 (5 cassette
27 April to 21 September 1992 (22 tapes)
5 October to 15 March, 1993
22 March to 5 July, 1993
" Northwest Gardens" ,
radio program audio tapes and cue sheets
11 June 1984 to 27 June 1988
48 reel to reel
No tape for 9 September 1985 program
4 July 1988 to 9 July 1990
44 reel to reel
16 July to 24 September 1990; 1 April to 23 September
6 April to 21 September 1992
" Here's Help" , radio
program audio tapes and cuesheets, January/February 1981 to June/July 1985