The Overlook Woman's Improvement Club was founded on October 24, 1913, with sixteen members. The Overlook District comprises a small area in North Portland to the north and east of Overlook Park. The goals of the organization were to work for the improvement of the Overlook District and cooperate in civic and philanthropic movements throughout the state. The Club became a member of the State Federation of Women's Clubs on December 22, 1913, two months after its founding. All members were required to live in the Overlook District.
Activities of the Club included various neighborhood improvement projects, sponsoring neighborhood activities, and contributing funds to various charitable groups. Improvement projects included petitioning the City of Portland for more police and fire protection, paving the roads in the district and acquiring property for Overlook Park. The Club sponsored neighborhood activities such as the Children's Floral Parade, the Christmas Tree Lighting, Overlook Boy's Club, and the Junior Police. The Club also contributed to the Scholarship Loan Fund, Children's Farm Home, Doernbecher Hospital, and had a life membership at the Waverly Baby Home.
In 1963, the Club celebrated its 50th anniversary. However, it was largely reduced in membership by age and death to only thirty members, and in 1964 the organization was dissolved.
The records (1905-1964) of the Overlook Woman's Improvement Club include committee reports, the constitution and by-laws, agendas, correspondence, club forms, minutes, financial information, and resolutions. Materials also comprise newspaper clippings, yearbooks, directories and documentation relating to other women's clubs, issues of Oregon Club Digest, and correspondence, notes and documents relating to the Club's involvement in and sponsorship of various community and philanthropic activities.
Restrictions on Access :
The collection is open to the public.Restrictions on Use :
The Oregon Historical Society is the owner of the materials in the Research Library and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the Research Library before any publication use. The Society does not necessarily hold copyright to all of the materials in the collections. In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners.Preferred Citation :
Overlook Woman's Improvement Club records, Mss6010, Oregon Historical Society Research Library
The collection is arranged into four series:
Acquisition Information :
Gift of Dudley McClure, 1980 (Accession number 15127). Gift of A.N. Scritsmier, 1981 (Accession number 15444). Gift of the Overlook Community Center, 1994 (Accession number 21978).Processing Note :
Records were received in three donations and assigned two manuscript collection numbers, Mss6010 and Mss2600. Materials have been consolidated under manuscript collection number Mss6010. The materials in folders 1/17, 1/19, 2/3, and 3/3 were formerly designated as Mss2600.Related Materials :
Related materials about women's organizations in Portland, Oregon, may be found in the following collections at the Oregon Historical Society Research Library:
Portland Woman's Club records, Mss1084
Portland Women's Union records, Mss1443
Detailed Description of the Collection
Materials relating to the Children's Floral Parade, the Halloween Parade, homeless women and children surveys, the Overlook Boy's Club, the Overlook Junior Police, Overlook Park, and other activities.
Club reports, committee reports, the constitution and by-laws, correspondence, minutes, including attendance and financial records, resolutions, and correspondence about the Overlook community house and water mains.
The series contains directories, yearbooks and documentation about other women's clubs, including the General Federation of Women's Clubs, the Oregon Federation of Women's Clubs, and the Portland Federation of Women's Organizations. Material includes four issues of the Oregon Club Digest.
Overlook Woman's Improvement Club yearbooks from 1914-1915 to 1955-1956. The yearbooks list a brief club description, past presidents, officers, committees, a club prayer, a program of the year's meetings, and a list of members.
The collection is indexed under the following headings in the online catalog. Researchers desiring materials about related topics, persons, or places should search the catalog using these headings: