The Campus Club was established as a men's cooperative residence at Oregon State College in 1940; the cooperative was active through spring of 1966. In fall of 1966, the remaining 20 members of the Campus Club moved into the newly constructed Avery Lodge cooperative. Reunions of former residents of the Campus Club began in 1987.
Campus Club was on the only men's cooperative that remained open during World War II. The Kupono Cooperative House was established about the same time as Campus Club, but closed in the spring of 1943. Several former Kupono residents joined the Campus Club when they returned to Oregon State after the war.
Robert E. McDole lived in the Campus Club during his student years at Oregon State and graduated with a BS in soils in 1952. He has been instrumental in organizing reunions of former residents and served as editor of the Campus Club Alumni Newsletter.
The Campus Club Alumni Collection consists of materials created and assembled by alumnus Robert E. McDole that document the activities of Oregon State alumni who resided in the Campus Club men's cooperative during their student years as well as reunions of former residents. The collection includes lists of former residents ("alumni") of the Campus Club, newsletters, newspaper clippings, correspondence, essays, photographs, and publications. The materials include biographical information and updated details of former residents' activities since graduating from Oregon State.
The correspondence includes recollections and reminiscences written by the alumni of their student years at Oregon State College. The collection includes a chapter on the Campus Club written in 2003 by Donald L. Stettler as part of his life story, From the Mud of the Great Depression. Stettler lived at Campus Club in the mid-1950s. Notes about the connections between the Campus Club and the Kupono Cooperative House are also included.
Two books written by Campus Club alumni are part of the collection: A Manger in My Rabbit: Memoirs of an Oregon Veterinarian by Robert Whittaker and SuperParenting: Child Rearing for the New Millennium by William Maxwell and others.
The collection includes 4 photographic prints of alumni and reunion events as a well as a photograph album of 41 digital prints of group photographs of Campus Club and Avery Lodge members in 1962-1966. These were primarily taken at house dances and other social events. The album also includes copies of newspaper articles featuring Club residents and an itinerary for the 1966 Campus Club beach trip. Most of the individuals in the digital prints are not identified, with the exception of Ivan Harold Zimmerman and Mrs. Thornton (perhaps the Club's housemother).
Restrictions on Access :
Collection is open for research.Preferred Citation :
Campus Club Alumni Collection, Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.
Acquisition Information :
The materials were donated to the Archives by Robert E. McDole in 2010.Related Materials :
The University Housing and Dining Services Records (RG 145) document residence halls and dormitories as well as student life and activities at Oregon State. The Kupono Cooperative House Scrapbook documents the membership and activities of another housing cooperative for men students at Oregon State College that was active from 1939 to 1943. Other collections that document men's housing clubs at Oregon State are the Associated Men's Halls Scrapbook (for 1934-1940), the Cauthorn Club Records (for 1893-1940), and the Poling Hall Club Records (for 1926-1971). The Robert E. McDole Papers document McDole's student experience at Oregon State College and career as an Extension soils specialist in Idaho.