Lulu M. Fairbanks was born in Ohio in 1888 and moved to Seattle in
1913. She taught school for five years, then worked for the Port of Seattle
until 1922. After leaving for a brief time, she returned in 1923 and became the
assistant editor of the
Alaska Weekly, a position she retained
until 1956. Ms. Fairbanks promoted knowledge and participation in Alaskan
activities and was named Miss Alaska for life by the International Sourdough
Convention, an organization she had belonged to since 1931. She helped found
the Washington Press Women and was the president of the Seattle branch of the
National League of Pen Women.
The Mountaineers was founded in 1906 with 110 charter members, half of
them women. In the early years, many of their activities were local walks and
excursions. Full scale mountain climbs were also accomplished, such as Mount
Baker and Mount Rainier. Some of the original members of the Mountaineers were
Edmond S. Meany and Henry Landes of the University of Washington, and
photographers Asahel Curtis and Lawrence D. Lindsley.
Album with 168 2-sided pages (most used on the front side only)
recounting trips made by the Mountaineers between 1913 and 1916.
Lulu Fairbanks kept this scrapbook on various trips she took with the
Mountaineers into the Cascade Mountains and around Puget Sound. As a
journalist, she describes in colorful detail the landscapes they encountered,
along with the personalities and activities of the group. She describes the
dedication and construction of the Mountaineers lodge at Snoqualmie in June
1914. The scrapbook has typewritten commentary and is illustrated with original
photographs, pictures from books and magazines, and post cards. Relevant news
articles are also included. Some of the excursions began with a railroad
journey, and the scrapbook contains several images of trains. Names of some
members are provided, and many geographic features are identified. Both summer
and winter excursions are described and illustrated. The first trip that Lulu
Fairbanks describes, a visit to the Tulalip Indian Reservation, takes place in
June 1912, when she says she is not yet a member of the Mountaineers. The
latest dated entry is en route to Snow Lake in May 1916.
Use of the Collection
Alternative Forms Available :
View selections from the collection in digital format by clicking on
the camera icons in the inventory below.
Restrictions on Use :
The Museum of History & Industry is the owner of the materials in
the Sophie Frye Bass Library and makes available reproductions for research,
publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from MOHAI
before any reproduction use. The museum does not necessarily hold copyright to
all of the materials in the collections. In some cases, permission for use may
require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners.
Restrictions on Access :
The collection is open to the public by appointment.
Preferred Citation :
Lulu Fairbanks Mountaineers trips album, Museum of History &
Acquisition Information :
Found in collection.
Processing Note :
The album pages were originally in a 3-ring binder. For preservation
purposes, the pages were removed from the binder and placed in archival
folders, and retained their original order.
Detailed Description of the Collection
The first half of the album describes longer trips made by
Fairbanks with the Mountaineers, largely to the Mountaineers Lodge near
Snoqualmie, as well as other locations.
Section titles written by Fairbanks are indicated by italics.
On June 21, 1914, the hikers board the Milwaukee to Rockdale
(near Snoqualmie Pass). Section contains color postcards of the Olympian
(train) and Mount Si, done by Asahel Curtis; magazine clippings; and
photographs of Granite Mt., Chair Peak, the Matterhorn, Mt. Defiance,
McClellan's Butte, Mt. Denny, and the South Fork of the Snoqualmie R.
of Mountaineer Lodge - June 21, 1914
Hikers leave the train and carry boards and bricks to the
Mountaineer Lodge. Prof. Edmond Meany gives a dedication Section contains an
Asahel Curtis postcard of a train as well as photographs of the unfinished
lodge and a panorama of the surrounding peaks (Granite Mt., the Matterhorn,
Chair Peak, Dennyhorn, Denny Mt., Snoqualmie Mt., Guye Peak, Red Mt., Mt.
Thomson, and Mt. Stewart).
by Mountain Peaks— Spending the Fourth at the Mountaineer
Description of a hike from the Mountaineer Lodge to the Laconia
railroad yard via Snoqualmie Pass. Mentions devil's club and the nascent Sunset
Highway (I-90) among other subjects. Section contains an Asahel Curtis postcard
of a train track; magazine clippings; pictures of waterfalls, the Lodge, and
the surrounding peaks; and the poem “In August” by Katharine Lee Bates.
at the Lodge—August 14-15, 1914
The author and friends canoe to the Ragnar train station, where
they board a train to Rockdale. They find the Lodge much improved. On a hike to
the Snoqualmie River, they encounter men building the new Sunset Highway. The
next day they visit a mountain lake before returning to Seattle. Section contains many color postcards of river scenes; large
magazine clippings of forested railroad lines; and photographs of the group and
the waterfalls they encountered around the lake. Also featured are images of
Sidney V. Bryant (namesake of Bryant Peak) and his wife.
at the Mountaineer Lodge—September 5-7, 1914
The author follows a Mr. Playter on a hike to Snow Lake, while
other Mountaineers climb Snoqualmie Peak. They follow a trail made by 'United
States Rangers' to large waterfalls and fields of heather. At night they listen
to President Meany's stories about a trip to Glacier Park. The next day, they
help with lodge- and trail-building before returning to the train. Section contains photos of the Lodge (with identifications of
specific members and parts of the Lodge); a panoramic photo of Chair Peak and
Snow Lake; views of Matterhorn and Mt. Rainier from Chair Peak; a copy of
Edmond Meany's poem “The Eagle and the Peak”; and other miscellaneous photos
from past trips.
Hand Day at Lodge—October 24-5, 1914
A large group gathers at the Lodge to ready it for winter. They
celebrate Mr. Bryant's wedding anniversary over dinner; the Lodge's architect,
Carl F. Gould, makes an appearance as well. Section contains pictures of the
Lodge, ready for winter; views on Denny Mt. and Snoqualmie Pass; and a picture
of some women en route to the train at Rockdale.
On the Big
Lake—February 20-22, 1915
Section contains photos of snowshoeing and sledding on a lake.
Lodge—February 12-13, 1916
Section contains photos of the snowbound Lodge and its
visitors, identifications of the surroundings peaks, and a feature from
The Town Crier entitled “Through the
Drifts of the Cascades.”
and Little Lake, together with his views taken April 2, 1916
Section contains photos of the Cascades in spring, complete with
En Route to
Snow Lake—May 28, 1916
Section contains photos of very deep snow around Guye's Peak and
“Mountaineers Hold Wedding in
Hills; Name of Bride is Kept Deep Secret”
Section contains full text of an article from the
Seattle Sunday Times.
Mountaineers First Visit to Their Rhododendron Lodge—December
Section contains story from the Mountaineer Bulletin regarding
the group's purchase of 74 acres in Kitsap County.
A Visit to
"One of the Largest Dams in the World" in the Rain—Cedar River Dam in the
Cascades, October 19, 1914
The author takes a tour of the Seattle Municipal Power Plant at
Cedar Falls. City Councilman Cooley answers questions about the artificial lake
that will be created. Section contains fold-out map of Cedar River watershed; a
newspaper article about the dam; photos of the dam and of Cedar Lake itself;
and a group photo of the Mountaineers after their tour. There is also a
compilation of Prof. Edmond Meany's poetry.
with the Mountaineers of Seattle, Washington, 1912-1914
The back half of the album begins with a title page
Short Hikes with the Mountaineers of Seattle,
Washington and describes shorter hikes taken by Fairbanks with the
Section titles written by Fairbanks are indicated by italics.
Title page and poems
Includes the poems “Bluets” by Martha Haskell Clark and
“Wanderlust” by Stacey M. Snow.
to the Tulalip Indian Reservation:
230 Mountaineers receive a warm welcome after arriving via boat.
They hike on the beach and pick daisies. The next trip, they have a clambake.
Section contains many photos of Mountaineers (mostly women) having lunch,
listening to lectures, or picking daisies.
Part of the group goes to Wildcat Lake, and part goes to Hidden
Ranch. Section contains views of Hidden Ranch, as well as the poems “Hidden
Ranch” by Stacy M. Snow and “The Waiting Peace” by Amos R. Wells.
Christmas-Greens Walk to the Snowy Hidden Ranch via Elwood and Chico—December
The Mountaineers hike to snowbound Hidden Ranch and make
Christmas wreaths from ferns, cedar, fir, hemlock and spruce. Section contains
assorted cut-outs as well as the poem “Flower and Seed” by Harriet Prescott
Dinner via the Snow Route—Tracyton to Silverdale
The Mountaineers battle snow and mud on their way to a chicken
dinner at the Silverdale Hotel. Section contains pictures of the hiking party
at a distance, the hikers in front of the Silverdale Hotel, and a view across
Dyes Inlet towards the Olympics.
to Olalla via Fragaria—February 14, 1915
A group of 187 enjoys a walk with views of Vashon Island and Mt.
Rainier. Section features no original photography.
to Hood Canal
The Mountaineers take a hike to the shores of Hood Canal, but
high winds drive them off. Section contains maps of Hood Canal and a photo of
the Mountaineers taking lunch on a hillside.
via Crescent Beach and Fauntleroy
The Mountaineers arrive via ferry and leave via rail; they pass
through beaches, forests, and streams. Section contains three excellent group
Bellevue via Sturtevant Lake
An uneventful hike to Bellevue. Section contains no original
Mercer Island via the Trail Route
An uneventful trek around Mercer Island with Prof. Meany.
Section contains a photo of the group eating lunch.
Walk on Mercer Island—February 28, 1915
The group follows Mr. Carkeek on a slow walk around the island.
Section contains no original photography.
Port Orchard via Long Lake
The group hikes to the Port Orchard Soldiers Home, adjacent to
the Puget Sound Navy Yard. Section contains a photo of some Mountaineers late
to board their boat at the end of the hike.
Apple Blossoms on Vashon Island—Cove to Burton
Section contains a photo of some Mountaineers enjoying apple
Madison to Eagle Harbor
The group passes the Yeomalt Country Club, Yeomalt Point and the
YWCA on their way to the ferry at Eagle Harbor. Section contains three photos
of the Mountaineers eating lunch.
Madison to Crystal Springs in the Rain
The group hikes to Manzanita and then to Crystal Springs,
despite adverse weather; Section includes an excellent photo of the 'coffee
line' at lunch.
Bainbridge Island via Picturesque Trails—Gibson to Eagle
Some of the Mountaineers bring their dogs along to enjoy the
scenery. Section includes photos of the group gathered on a beach.
Dinner via the Log Route—Sandy Point to Point No Point, Along Beach at High
The group encounters many logs on their way to a beefsteak
dinner with huckleberry pie. Section contains no original photography.
Mystery Walk Thru Rain—Cowen to
Ravenna Parks: October 24, 1915
Prof. Gavett leads the hikers through poor weather to the
Ravenna Park Pavilion. Section includes a newspaper clipping about a valuable
ginseng root that the Mountaineers found during this hike.
Leaf via Cowen and Ravenna Parks
The Mountaineers cross what was once farmland to get to Maple
Leaf. Section contains no original photography.
Mile Walk to Sand Point via the Woods, Beach, & Strawberry Patch
The hikers skirt the edge of Lake Washington and encounter
Japanese women working in strawberry fields. Section contains no original
Four walks: Alki to Lincoln Beach; Kenyon St. to Gabe (Renton
Line); 19th & E. Galer to Madison St. via Lake Washington; Kirkland to