Born in Sherman County, Oregon, in 1889, Erwin Bertran Lemon graduated with a degree in Business from OAC in 1911. That same year, Lemon's longtime association with the University continued with his appointment as a part-time instructor of accounting. Teaching for the School of Commerce until 1943, Lemon also held the post of University Registrar for 21 years (1922 to 1943) during this period. From 1943 until his retirement from the University in 1959, Lemon served as Dean of Administration. Outside the University, Lemon assumed leadership roles in several professional organizations including the American Association of Registrars and the Pacific Coast Registrar's Association. After retiring in 1959, Lemon remained active on behalf of the University through involvement in the OSU Alumni Association and the OSU Foundation (serving on the Board of Trustees from 1965 to 1978). Lemon was also active in Corvallis civic affairs, including involvement in the Corvallis Area Chamber of Commerce, the Corvallis School Board, and the local chapter of the Rotary Club. For his service to OSU and the community, Lemon was honored with a Distinguished Service Award from the University in 1968 and was named "First Citizen of Benton County " in 1959. Lemon died in 1979.
Series I consists of correspondence regarding Lemon's involvement in the Corvallis Area Chamber of Commerce, the OSU Foundation, and the State Scholarship Commission. Also addressed in the correspondence are a recognition ceremony given in honor of Lemon's retirement and the gift of a replica of the National Capitol building to the University. Series II contains materials pertaining to the OSU Foundation and includes directories and minutes from the Board of Trustees, the Deferred Gifts Committee, Executive Committee, and the Nominations Committee. This series also contains materials relating to a proposed development of a performing arts center on campus (the Great Hall).
Series III are newspaper clippings relating to Lemon's appointment to the State Scholarship Commission, recognition ceremonies and celebrations honoring Lemon's retirement and 50th and 60th wedding anniversaries, and the awarding of "First Citizen of Benton County" honor to Lemon. Series IV consists of certificates and awards dating from 1924 to 1971. In addition to correspondence and brochures relating to the OSU Centennial Award presented to Lemon in 1968, this series includes certificates from the Pacific Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers and the OSU Chapter of Phi Kappa Phi. Series V is photographs featuring portraits of Lemon, a view of Lemon on campus in his Cauthorn Hall dorm room and the building itself, and reunions of the graduating class of 1911.
Organized into five series, most of which are arranged alphabetically.
Related Materials :
Documentation of Lemon's service to OSU as a longtime employee can be found in the institutional records of several University departments and offices, including the College of Business (RG 122), Registrar's Office (RG 53), and the Office of Finance and Administration (RG 131). The records of the OSU Alumni Association (RG 35) is another institutional records group documenting Lemon's work with the University. Lemon's involvement as a charter member and President of the local chapter of Phi Kappa Phi can be found in the papers of the OSU Chapter. Papers from the wife of E. B. Lemon, Lora, can also be found in the Archives.
Detailed Description of the Collection