The Sigma Xi Club was founded at Oregon State College in 1922 and became a chapter of the national Society of the Sigma Xi in 1937, with a membership of more than 80 faculty. The mission includes promotion of scientific research and honoring scientific achievement.
The Sigma Xi Records primarily document the actvities of the Sigma Xi Club at Oregon State College in the 1930s leading up to the designation of the club as chapter of the national Society of the Sigma Xi in 1937. The records include correspondence and clippings regarding the organization's activities and members as well as petitions to the national organization. The 1934 petition includes extensive documentation of the research program and activities at Oregon State College and biographical information, including lists of publications, for the chapter members.
The records also include reports of the Society of Sigma Xi Research Committee for 1963 and 1965, which outline the status of research program at Oregon State University, and an announcement of the 2001 Sigma Xi Winter Lecture.
Restrictions on Access :
Collection is open for research.Preferred Citation :
Sigma Xi Records, Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.
Related Materials :
Other materials pertaining to Sigma Xi as well as the research programs and activities at Oregon State University are available in the Science Research Institute (RG 14), Graduate School (RG 16), College of Science (RG 24), Physics Department (RG 37), and Research Office (RG 170) Records and the Roy A. Young Papers.