Concordia began in 1905 with a faculty of one, F.W.J. Sylwester. Even when enrollment growth necessitated additional faculty, for about the first forty years the faculty acted as a committee of the whole. By the early 1950's the faculty had organized into nine committees: Worship, Discipline, Guidance, Library, Student Activities, Tests & Measurements, Admissions, Curriculum, and Publicity and Public Relations. In 1956 the faculty reorganized into three committees: Worship, Student Life (to include Discipline, Guidance, Tests & Measurements, and Activities), and Educational Policies (to include Curriculum and Library); Admissions and Public Relations were placed under the newly created Administrative Council.
After the high school and college separated administratively in 1961, High School Academic, Student Life, and Admissions Committees were created. An Athletic Council was also introduced, but was apparently dropped as a faculty committee by 1967. A Faculty Hearings Committee was formed in 1974. In June 1973 the Committee on Admissions, Retention, Financial Assistance and Academic Status (CARFAAS) replaced the college Admissions Committee until it ceased in 1985. The high school moved from the campus in 1977.
By 1979 the faculty was organized into these committees: Educational Policies, Faculty Welfare, Student Life, Worship, CARFAAS, and Faculty Hearings. In 1985, the recommendation of the Task Force on Faculty Structure was accepted, and the faculty reorganized into two standing committees: Academic Policies (formerly Educational Policies) and Community Life (formerly Student Life). The Hearings Committee continued as a special committee. A third standing committee, Faculty Welfare Policies, was reintroduced in 1992.
By 1985, the chapel program had been transferred to the office of the Dean of Student Services and placed under the direction of a Dean of the Chapel; the Worship Committee as a faculty committee had ceased to exist.
The records contain information on various aspects of the chapel program. Chapel schedules reveal themes and leadership. Policies and procedures, minutes of worship committee meetings (both high school and college committees), and correspondence describe how worship was conducted on the campus. Of particular note are records about two controversies in the 1970s: the place of Holy Communion and the role of women in worship.
Restrictions on Access :
The collection is available for research by appointment.Restrictions on Use :
The Concordia University Archives is the owner of the materials in the Concordia University worship Committee Records Collection and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the Concordia University Archives before any reproduction use. Copyright resides with the creator of the documents or their heirs. The status of copyright is governed by the Copyright Law of the U. S. (Title 17, U.S.C.). In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners.Preferred Citation :
Researchers wishing to use this collection should include the following information:
[Item]. Concordia University Worship Committee Records. RG 05/05. Archives, Concordia University (Portland, OR).