Harold Whitehouse came to Spokane and practiced architecture in partnership with George Keith until 1914. The young firm produced many residences and business buildings, particularly in Spokane. In 1914, Whitehouse joined with Ernest V. Price (1881-1975) in a partnership that designed some of Spokane’s most notable structures, including the Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist, the Hutton Settlement, and early buildings for Whitworth College. Elsewhere in the Northwest, projects included buildings for the University of Washington, University of Idaho, and Washington State College, and more than 200 churches. Whitehouse’s expertise on architectural ornament and the integration of art and architecture made him unequally qualified and sensitive for the thoughtful and consistent design of the Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist.
The collection contains notes for lectures on ecclesiastical architecture and ornament, undated; clippings and essays relating to the Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist, its design, evolution, and interior appointments; two scrapbooks containing clippings on the work of Keith and Whitehouse, and Whitehouse and Price, 1900-1925; and miscellaneous papers relating to the estate of Arthur T. Whitehouse (1857-1936).
Restrictions on Access :
Collection is not restricted.Restrictions on Use :
Collection is open for use.Preferred Citation :
Harold Whitehouse Papers (MsSC 189), Eastern Washington State Historical Society/Northwest Museum of Arts & Culture, Spokane, WA.
This collection is indexed under the following headings in the Online Computer Library Center (OCLC) WorldCat database. Researchers desiring materials about related topics, persons, or places should search WorldCat using these headings.