Contains the historical papers of the Pond Brothers Store in Lewiston, Utah spanning the period of 1889 to 1912. This collection contains financial ledgers, transaction receipts, canceled checks, and some personal papers of Brigham and Charles Pond, including Charles Pond's 1896 notes and school papers during his studies at the Agricultural College of Utah (now Utah State University).
Utah State University. Special Collections and Archives Manuscript Collection
Merrill-Cazier Library Utah State University 3000 Old Main Hill Logan, UT 84322-3000 Phone: 435 797-1663 Fax: 435 797-2880 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Collection materials are in English.
Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008
In 1889 the Webster-Pond Brothers Store opened in Lewiston, Utah and under the management of brothers Brigham Pond and Louis Pond, and funded by W. M. Webster of Franklin, Idaho. Commonly known as the Pond Brothers Store, it sold general merchandise, functioned as butcher shop, and served as an outlet where grain farmers could market their produce locally. By 1891 Lewiston's LDS Mercantile Cooperative Store went out of business, leaving the Pond Brothers Store as the only local store until 1895. In 1895 Hyrum G. Hayball, a ZCMI trained businessman from Logan, Utah came to Lewiston and established a store in competition to the Pond Brothers, but his business failed within three years.
With the construction of the Lewiston Sugar Beet Factory in 1905, Charles Pond, the son of Brigham Pond, established a small outlet of the Pond Brothers Store on the factory's grounds. From this originally small outlet, Pond's business blossomed into a substantial store that sold coal, lumber, general merchandise, and other materials needed by the factory and its workers. The Pond Brothers Store operated until 1917 when the Ponds sold their property and moved to Island Park, Idaho to pursue the lumber business.
Lewiston City Compiled Works; Histories, Diaries, Minutes, and Notes, compiled by Lewiston City Historical Commission, Lewiston, Utah, 1987 (USU SC&A: 979.27 L589)
Brigham Pond was born June 9, 1853. He and his wife, Aroetta Whittle Pond and their young sons, Charles, came to Lewiston in the spring of 1877. Later Brigham and his brother Louis bought one-hundred and eighty acres of land near Lewiston. Brigham Pond practiced polygamy and had two wives. His second wife, Catherine Whittle Pond, married Brigham in 1885. This second family moved around from place to place for a number of years. However, Catherine and her nine children eventually settled in Lewiston on Brigham's farm where the two families lived together. Active in Church and civic affairs, Brigham was the first mayor (or president) of Lewiston Town Corporation. In 1890 he was called to serve a LDS mission in Kansas. Brigham Pond passed away December 26, 1933.
Bernhisel, John Milton III, History of Lewiston, Lewiston City Council, Lewiston, Utah, 1965, p. 253.
Charles Pond was born December 21, 1876 in Richmond, Utah the son of Brigham and Aroetta Whittle Pond. Shortly after Charles' birth the family moved to Lewiston. In October 1898 he was called to serve a two-year LDS mission in California. On September 12, 1900 Charles married a school teacher, Wilhelmina McCan of Smithfield, Utah who was teaching school in Lewiston. After their marriage they both taught school at Lewiston. In 1901 Charles was appointed manager of the Peoples' Mercantile & Creamery Co. at Richmond, Utah. In the spring of 1904 Charles and his family moved to Boise, Idaho then to Hood River, Oregon. In 1908 he returned to Lewiston where he was the principal owner of a new store near the Amalgamated Sugar Co., of which he soon became the sole owner and manager. In 1924 Charles sold his business and bought the Island Park Lodge near Yellowstone. Charles and Mina had seven children together.
Bernhisel, John Milton III, History of Lewiston, Lewiston City Council, Lewiston, Utah, 1965, p. 267.
This ten-box collection contains the historical papers of the Pond Brothers Store in Lewiston, Utah spanning the period of 1889 to 1912. This collection contains financial ledgers, transaction receipts, canceled checks, and personal papers of Brigham and Charles Pond.
Box 10 contains five ledgers consisting of Charles Pond's notes taken at the Agricultural College of Utah (now Utah State University) in 1896 and store account ledgers. Boxes 1-8 consist of canceled checks and check stubs. Box 9 contains store papers in the form of small ledgers and payroll records. Folder 13 contains ledgers and papers concerning the Pond Brothers Store's connection to the construction of the Lewiston School House in 1895. Box 9 also contains personal papers of Brigham Pond (1890s) and a Fairview Cooperative Store ledger (1891-1903).
Use of the Collection
Restrictions on Access : Restrictions
Open to public research.
Restrictions on Use : Copyright
It is the responsibility of the user to obtain permission to publish from the owner of the copyright (the institution, the creator of the record, the author or his/her transferees, heirs, legates, or literary executors). The user agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the Utah State University Libraries, its officers, employees, and agents from and against all claims made by any person asserting that he or she is an owner of copyright.