4-H is the youth program administered in Oregon by the Extension Service with the goal of developing citizenship, leadership, and life skills through experential learning programs in agriculture, home economics, natural science, engineering, and art. Oregon 4-H developed from industrial clubs established by individual schools in the early 1900s. F.L. Griffin was hired by the Oregon Agricultural College Extension Service as the first state leader in 1914. He was followed by H.C. Seymour who served as State Leader from 1916 until his retirement in 1947. Helen Cowgill and L.J. "Doc" Allen were instrumental, with Seymour, in the develpment of 4-H in Oregon.
Oregon was the first state to offer 4-H work in a metropolitan area when it established victory gardens on Portland school grounds during World War I. 4-H Summer Week on the Oregon State campus began in 1916 and brought youth from throughout Oregon to the campus in Corvallis. Oregon 4-H began participating in the International Farm Youth Exchange Program in 1951 and the 4-H Japanese Exchange Program was initiated in 1972.
The 4-H Photograph Collection provides extensive visual documentation of Oregon 4-H programs, projects, and participants from the founding in the 1910s through the 1980s. The collection consists of images of the 4-H Summer School on the Oregon State campus in Corvallis, including many group portaits of the participants by county; 4-H activities at the Oregon State Fair and the Pacific International Livestock Exposition; Oregon delegates to national 4-H congresses; a variety of 4-H projects including gardens, livestock and poultry, forestry, cooking and canning, sewing and needlework, and recreational activities; and participants in the International Farm Youth Exchange Program (IFYE) and the 4-H Japanese Exchange Program. The collection includes images of Extension Service staff for 4-H including Helen Cowgill, L.J. Allen, and H.C. Seymour. The collection includes several slide programs developed in the 1960s through 1980s highlighting 4-H programs and as instruction for 4-H projects. Two photograph albums include images of 4-H activities at the 1951 and 1957 Oregon State Fairs. Many of the photographs in the collection have detailed descriptions.
The collection includes a variety of formats; the bulk of the collection is black and and white prints. It also includes film negatives, nitrate negatives, slides, color prints, and photograph albums.
Restrictions on Access :
Collection is open for research.Preferred Citation :
4-H Photograph Collection (P 146), Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.
About a third of the images have been individually numbered; the remainder have not been assigned individual numbers and are grouped by topic. The preliminary container list presents the numbered images followed by those arranged by topic.
Additional Reference Guides :
Preliminary item-level container list available online.Processing Note :
This collection is not fully processed; this guide is preliminary.Acquisition Information :
Aquired in numerous accessions and transfers through 1998.Future Additions :
Additions to the collection are expected.Related Materials :
The Extension Service Records (RG 111) include the administrative records for the Oregon 4-H programs. Other photographs of 4-H activities and participants are available in the Extension Bulletin Illustrations Photograph Collection (P 020), the Extension and Experiment Station Communications Photographs (P 120), and Harriet's Collection. 4-H moving images are in the 4-H Motion Picture Films (FV P 146) and the Extension and Experiment Station Communications Moving Images (FV P 120).
The Archives holdings include many collections of organizations and individuals individuals affiliated with 4-H including the Oregon State University Extension Association/4-H (OSUEA/4-H), OSU Collegiate 4-H Club, Malheur County 4-H Leaders' Council, and Clackamas County Jersey Cattle Club as well as James F. Bishop, Helen Cowgill, Wallace L. Kadderly, and Buena Maris Mockmore.