Marcus Struve, of Pendleton, Oregon, attended Oregon Agricultural College from about 1905 to 1908 and earned a BS in Pharmacy in 1908. He played the violin in the Mandolin Club and the College Orchestra. After graduation, Struve worked as a pharmacist in Pendleton and as a chemist for the Sierra Magnesite Company in Porterville, California and the Portland Cement Company of Mound House, Nevada.
The Marcus Struve Photographs consist of four mounted photographic prints that depict Struve with groups of Oregon Agricultural College (OAC) students. The photographs were likely assembled by Struve; the photographers are not known. The images are individually numbered P110:1 through P110:4. The photographs include a studio photograph of the OAC Mandolin Club; Struve, Charles Edwin Bowen, and Edward Cleveland Callaway are identified in this image. Another photograph depicts the OAC Orchestra seated outdoors at the entrance to Education Hall; this image was published in the 1909 Orange and is available online. The collection also includes images of the pharmacy class in 1908 and of 1908 OAC graduates in caps and gowns.
Restrictions on Access :
Collection is open for research.Preferred Citation :
Marcus Struve Photographs (P 110), Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.
Acquisition Information :
The photographs were acquired by the OSU Archives in the 1960s.Related Materials :
A portrait photograph of Struve is available in Harriet's Collection. The William Harling Davolt Scrapbook and Photographs include additional images from this time period. Davolt was also a member of the Class of 1908.