In 1888 Salt Lake City donated 20 acres as a site for the Utah State Capital. For various political reasons, however, it was not until 1909 that a seven man Utah Capital Commission was formed for the purpose of selecting a design and contructing a building. Although their initial attempts to raise a one mill levy failed, in 1911 an unexpected windfall of nearly $800,000 in taxes paid by the estate of E.H. Harriman provided enough seed-money to start the process. In 1911 the commission held a competition to select the best design. Ten prospective plans were entered into the contest including this one by Cannon (Georgius Y. Cannon), Fetzer (John Fetzer), and Ramm Hansen. The winning entry came from Richard Karl August Kletting. Construction began in 1912 with James Stewart & Company as the contractor. The building would not be fully completed until 1916. The final cost was $2,739,000.
The Utah Capital Competition Drawings consist of 15 copy prints from a proposal that was submitted to the Utah Capitol Commission by the Salt Lake City architectural firm of Cannon, Fetzer, and Ramm Hansen in 1911. The prints are photographic reproductions of drawings that show elevated views as well as floorplans.
Restrictions on Access : Restrictions
Open to public research.Restrictions on Use : Copyright
It is the responsibility of the user to obtain permission to publish from the owner of the copyright (the institution, the creator of the record, the author or his/her transferees, heirs, legates, or literary executors). The user agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the Utah State University Libraries, its officers, employees, and agents from and against all claims made by any person asserting that he or she is an owner of copyright.
Permission to publish material from the >Utah capitol competition : project of Cannon, Fetzer and Ramm Hansen Architects must be obtained from the Special Collections Photograph Curator and/or the Special Collections Department Head.Preferred Citation :
Utah capitol competition : project of Cannon, Fetzer and Ramm Hansen Architects, 1911. (P0107). Utah State University. Special Collections & Archives Department.
Organized numerical by photo number.
Acquisition Information :
The album was the property of Charles Edwin Loose, a mining magnate and two-term Republican Utah State Senator from 1902 to 1906 who was a member of the Utah State Capitol Commission. The album was donated as part of the Betsy Jane Tenney Loose Papers MS 177 by Charles' grandson Eddie Peterson. Another example of a proposal can be found in Special Collections (Vault PAM 143, "Watkins, Birch & Kent, Eldredge & Chesebro, Associate Architects: Utah Capitol Competition: Illustrated Memoir").Processing Note :
Register completed by Peter Schmid, January 1998, and revised by Daniel Davis, June 2006.
Detailed Description of the Collection