The Dean of Women's office was established in 1911 with responsibility
for the general welfare of the college's female students. Anna Zoe Crayne was
the first Dean. Kate M. Jameson, Dean of Women from 1924-1941, added many
programs to the purview of the office, including the Associated Women Students,
Mortar Board, and other honorary societies. The office provided housing and
employment services, helped to coordinate social and activity programs, and
counseled students "on matters of general and personal welfare." In 1962 the
Dean of Women was placed under the new position of Dean of Students, and in
1969 the Dean of Women's title was changed to Assistant Dean of Students.
The Dean of Women's Office Records document the administrative
activities of the office, the student programs that it coordinated, and
committee activities of the Dean of Women.
Restrictions on Access
Collection is open for research.
Dean of Women's Office Records (RG 57), Oregon State University
Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.