Concordia University, founded in 1905 as Evangelical Lutheran Concordia College of Portland, Oregon, began as a high school for boys preparing to enter the pastoral ministry of the Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod. The committee of the Oregon and Washington District that started the school became the first Board. As the governing board, the Board of Regents was first known as the Board of Supervision (in German, Aufsichts-Behörde) through 1922. From 1923 through 1980 the English name, Board of Control, was used. In 1981 the name was changed to Board of Regents. Until the 1940s, the Board made all major decisions, assuming most of the typical academic, business, public relations, fund-raising, and student life functions of the school.
In the early 1950’s, under the leadership of President Thomas Coates, the faculty began to assume more of the day-to-day responsibilities, leaving the board with its more current policy-making functions. A separate Board of Electors, composed of Board of Control members plus others, convened as needed to choose recommended candidates for permanent faculty positions. In 1941, the name of the school was changed to Concordia Academy with a separate Board of Trustees for the Concordia Academy Corporation. In a 1947 reorganization, the Trustees were elected from the Board of Control so that the two functions came under one Board. The school name was changed back to Concordia College in 1950. Because of the Board's small numbers, an Advisory Council was formed on January 20, 1959, to provide "qualified consultants in its various areas of operation." The Council members were appointed by the President with the approval of the Board. The Council met annually. In 1984 the name of the Council was changed to President’s Council "to more accurately reflect its function" with a new mission statement. In January, 1986, the Council was dissolved.
These records contain Board agendas, minutes, documents that accompanied the minutes because they influenced Board decisions, documents produced by the Board, and reports given to the Board. Included also are communications between the members of the Board and various individuals. The records span the administrations of Presidents F.W.J. Sylwester (1905-1946), Thomas Coates (1946-1957), E.P. Weber (1958-1983), and Charles E. Schlimpert (1983- ).
Preferred Citation :
Researchers wishing to use this collection should include the following information:
[Item]. Concordia University Board of Regents Records. RG 01/01. Archives, Concordia University (Portland, OR).Restrictions on Access :
The collection is available for research by appointment.Restrictions on Use :
Only resolutions of the Board are available to researchers.
The Concordia University Archives is the owner of the materials in the Concordia University Board of Regents Records and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the Concordia University Archives before any reproduction use. Copyright resides with the creator of the documents or their heirs. The status of copyright is governed by the Copyright Law of the U. S. (Title 17, U.S.C.). In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners.
Arrangement is chronological within each series.
Detailed Description of the Collection
Minutes of the Board from 1905-1930 are in one binding (included here is a brief history of the founding of the school; a letter of greetings from Concordia College, St. Paul, Minnesota; and a list of the first 18 registered students). Minutes of two meetings in 1932. Minutes from 1937-2003. The language used was German through the minutes of 1925, and English thereafter. Minutes beginning from about 1959 to 2000 often contain agendas and exhibits (documents distributed with the agenda or at the meetings). Occasionally minutes of the annual meeting of the Advisory Council were included. Minutes of a few meetings seem to be missing.
A list of motions and resolutions from 1964 to 1975, and 1986 to 2003, along with some support documents, all extracted from the minutes. A Board resolution from 1981 makes only Board resolutions available to the general public, while the executive minutes are not available.
Although this Board of Electors seems to have functioned well into the 1960s, no minutes are extant after 1921.
Contains correspondence between the Board and various individuals on matters within the purview of the Board. The files occasionally contain documents and reports that were probably available at board meetings but were kept separate from the minutes.