Oregon State University's oceanography program began in 1954 with a small research grant from the Office of Naval Research. It was established as a department in 1959 to fulfill the need for trained oceanographers and basic oceanographic research in the Pacific Ocean off the coast of the Pacific Northwest. The department became the School of Oceanography in 1972 and the College of Oceanography in 1983. When the Atmospheric Sciences Department was transferred to the college in 1993, Oceanography was renamed the College of Oceanic and Atmospheric Sciences.
The School of Oceanography Photographs consist of three images depicting oceanographic research conducted by Oregon State University faculty and graduate students that were assembled as part of the School's biennial report for 1970/1972. One image shows a three-meter trawl with trawlometers used to sample deep ocean stations; a second depicts a buoy being lowered into the ocean for studying the nature of upwelling between Seal Rock and Cascade Head on the Oregon Coast. The third image shows School of Oceanography geophysicists placing seismometers in the Klamath Falls, Oregon, area during exploratory studies of geothermal energy.
All of the images are b/w photographic prints and have been assigned individual numbers P203:1 thru P203:3.
Restrictions on Access :
Collection is open for research.Preferred Citation :
School of Oceanography Photographs (P 203), Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.
Acquisition Information :
The photographs were transferred to the Archives in 1981 as part of the School of Oceanography 1970/1972 biennial report. The photographs were separated from the paper records in 1994 to form this collection.Future Additions :
Additions to the collection are expected.Related Materials :
The College of Oceanic and Atmospheric Sciences Records (RG 173) include substantive documentation of oceanography research conducted at Oregon State, including the annual and biennial reports from the same period as these photographs. Additional images of oceanographic research are available in the Dennis Barstow (P 280) and Hatfield Marine Science Center (P 254) Photographs. Moving images are available in the Oregon Sea Grant Communications Moving Images (FV P 185) and the Hatfield Marine Science Center Videotapes (FV 254).