The first "official" college library was likely that of the Adelphian Literary Society, which in 1880 had acquired the Corvallis Library Association's Library. Ten years later, the Adelphians transferred their 605-volume library to the college. By 1899, when the first full-time, nonstudent librarian, Arthur Stimpson, was appointed, the collection had grown to 3000 volumes and 500 pamphlets and bulletins. The first professional librarian, Ida A. Kidder, was appointed in 1908.
Initially housed in the Administration Building (now Benton Hall), a structure for the library was constructed in 1918 with funds appropriated by the Oregon Legislative Assembly passed a year earlier. Named Kidder Hall in honor of Ida Kidder, the library was re-named in 1954 for William Jasper Kerr, president of OSU from 1907-1932 and first chancellor of the State System of Higher Education.
Despite the construction of a west wing to the library building in 1941, space needs continued to become increasingly acute with the expansion of collections and staff. In the late 1950s, planning began for a new structure that was completed in 1963 and expanded in 1971 with the addition of two floors. A branch of the Library at the OSU Hatfield Marine Science Center was completed in 1976 and eventually named for Marilyn Potts Guin, the first librarian there.
Increasing demand for space drove plans for further expansion and renovation of the library building that began in 1988 and gained momentum with the approval of funds from the Legislative Assembly in 1993. Owing to the success of a fundraising campaign to raise private money to match state funds, expansion efforts began in 1996 and were completed in 1999. The Kerr Library was renamed the Valley Library in 1995 in honor of the Wayne and Gladys Valley Family, whose foundation donated $10 million to library expansion efforts.
The Libraries Moving Images consist of motion picture films, videotapes, and a DVD that were produced to provide library orientation for students and faculty and to promote the libraries programs to potential donors. The motion picture films include a library tour film prepared by KOAC-TV in about 1960 (FV P083:1) and two library orientation films prepared in about 1963 (FV P083:2). A VHS use copy of these three films is available. The films also include 4 reels acquired in 1967-1968 by the OSU Centennial Committee, which was chaired by OSU Librarian, Rodney Waldron. These reels include footage of registration, an Oregon State vs UCLA basketball game, a Charter Day lecture by A.F. Spilhaus, a Choralaires concert, and pharmacy classes.
The videotapes include a 10-minute production prepared for the library fundraising campaign in 1994 [FV P083:4]; videotape footage of a microcomputer lab in the library [FV P083:5]; and a 1973 videotape about the on-line acquisitions system, LOLITA, developed at Oregon State. The videotapes also include three productions prepared to provide library orientation to students and faculty: Using Kerr Library: A Research Strategy, circa 1977; Introduction to Oasis, 1988 (online catalog); and Tour of the Kerr Library, 1992. All of these include footage of library staff, faculty, and administrators. Duplication masters and use copies of all three of these are available. All of the videotapes are VHS format except for the LOLITA tape, which is 1/2-inch open reel.
The DVD is a 2009 production, OSU Libraries: You Make It Happen, prepared for distribution to previous and potential donors to the library.
Restrictions on Access :
Collection is open for research.Preferred Citation :
Libraries Moving Images (FV P 083), Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.
Additional Reference Guides :
Preliminary container list available online.Processing Note :
This collection is not fully processed; this guide is preliminary.Acquisition Information :
Materials were transferred in several accessions from 1994 through 2009; some of the materials were received with transfers of paper records.Future Additions :
Additions to the collection are expected.Related Materials :
Extensive documentation of the library's programs, collections, and facilities is available in the Library Records (RG 009) and Photographs (P 083). A film commemorating the OSU centennial is part of the Continuing Higher Education Films (FV P 048).